Saturday, January 23, 2016

Valentine's Critters

Today's card took me a while to create and I used lots of different products. 
Check out the close up below with a description of the background technique. 

To enhance the wintery scene,
I stamped the panel with black snow flakes (yes, I know black?) and added snow drifts 
from Lawn Fawn's Stitched Hillside Border. I used Zig Clean Color Real Brush Pens 
to add a bit of pink to the drifts and stamped them with the swirl from "Toboggan Together."
The critters and sentiment at the bottom are from Lawn Fawn's "Critters in the Snow" and 
"Toboggan Together." I popped up the seal, a technique I learned from Jenn Shurkus!
Happy Valentine's Day is a Hero Arts stamp, heat embossed with white. 
The die cut heart is pattern paper from American Crafts using a Spellbinder die.
The seal and bear were water colored with Zig pens. The three red heart sequins
are from Mint Owl Studio's "Hearts and Kisses" mix.

I watched a recent video by Jennifer McGuire on Distress Ink Backgrounds 
and tried it right away. In a nutshell, you apply distress ink directly to the paper, 
place a stencil over top and spray mist it with a shimmer product. I used MFT mixables 
Sheer Shimmer in white and several stencils. This one is hearts from MFT. 
Jennifer used paper towels to blot the excess ink lying on top of the stencil and heat set them.
The overall effect is very pretty with the design from the stencil and reaction of the shimmer 
with the distress inks. While I was making them, it occurred to me that instead of blotting with a paper towel, I might use a new piece of water color paper to blot up the extra ink 
therefore producing an additional patterned back ground. Here is the result - 
the back ground of this card. It's subtle and my camera's not high quality, 
but you can just about see the white hearts against the pink distress background!


I am entering this card in several challenges:
Lawnscape Challenge 122 WatercolorSimon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Best FriendsSimon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Create with CrittersCoolest Card Series by Jenn Shurkus - week 3




No comments:

Post a Comment